06 November 2009
They Pull at Your Heartstrings Poem - Libations Friday! 6 Nov 2009
*** Is the News really Art? What pulls at your emotions when you watch a news story on television?
From Denny: As I've been catching up posting on all my blogs (too many interests) it struck me as a poem idea to take a look at the News - and if it could actually be classified as a kind of Art.
That's what you get for saturating yourself sifting through and reading too much content as a blogger I guess... :) Your mind goes off onto the weirdest tangents.
And that's why God invented poetry. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. He knew writers needed a condensed form to get out those burning life questions. :)
What's your take on the News as Art?
They Pull at Your Heartstrings
At the end of the day you sit down to watch the news.
There are stories to make you squeamish and uncomfortable.
Stories to horrify, displaying mankind’s depravity…
You sit there watching the world in chaos or harmony.
There are stories to make you feel sad and still more
Stories to make you feel angry with outrage.
You watch the day’s news, wondering if it’s called Art.
All the stories evoke a full range of emotions in a swirl.
There are stories of compassion and charity to make you glad.
You watch from a culture away as girl brides light themselves
Afire to escape abuse from the hands of their loving husbands.
You watch from your comfortable home as your countrymen and women
Give of their hearts and wallets to help children on the other side of the world.
You watch as another culture of women struggles against severe abuse and crimes
To grow strong with confidence, education and smart with new life options
So, one day they are the ones sitting in a comfortable home watching the news,
Waiting for their chance to help someone else a world away, suffering and in need,
Cheering them on to success, praying they experience a long, fruitful life.
Copyright 5 November 2009
All Rights Reserved
Abused Girl brides in Afghanistan:
NBC News viewers rush donations to Afghanistan orphanage:
Young Afghani girl at the orphanage interviewed about her future and her dreams:
*** Thanks for visiting, everyone, and have a great weekend!
*** Thanks to everyone on StumbleUpon who gave reviews and thumbs up on this poem, thank you!
Afghani schoolgirl with book photo by The Advocacy Project @ flickr
Afghani schoolgirl at chalkboard photo by The Advocacy Project @ flickr
Soldier holding Iraqi baby photo, no attribution available
Blue ice heart melting photoshop photo, no attribution available
Recent Posts and Archive
- ► 2015 (37)
- ► 2014 (45)
- ► 2013 (100)
- ► 2012 (125)
- ► 2011 (349)
- ► 2010 (415)
- Roundup of Sunday Funnies 30 Nov 2009
- Catch Up On This Weeks Social Poets 29 Nov 2009
- Editorial Cartoons Roundup 28 Nov 2009
- A Man in Love - Libations Friday! 27 Nov 2009
- Making A Difference - Moms Helping Moms
- Funny Thanksgiving Quotes - Cheeky Quote Day! 25 N...
- Fun Video: Crazy Norwegian Newspaper Journalists ...
- All TSP Blog Followers From Blogger - What to Do W...
- Roundup of Sunday Funnies 23 Nov 2009
- All Libations Friday! Links List
- This Weeks Editorial Cartoons 21 Nov 2009
- Loving You - Libations Friday! 20 Nov 2009
- Check Out This Wonderful Poetry and Musings Blog F...
- Funny Quotes About Reading Habits - Cheeky Quote D...
- Catch Up on This Weeks 51 Posts At Dennys Blogs 17...
- Roundup of Sunday Funnies 16 Nov 2009
- Life Advice Poem by Rudyard Kipling
- This Weeks Editorial Cartoons 14 Nov 2009
- Reflections of That Moment - Libations Friday! 13 ...
- 5 Powerful Soul Affirmations, Soul Journey Poem
- Funny Money Advice - Cheeky Quote Day! 11 Nov 2009...
- Musicians Are Territorial Animals, Funny Post by D...
- Roundup of Late Night Funnies, Cartoons 9 Nov 2009...
- How Kindness Develops Your Strength - and Power to...
- Funny Editorial Cartoons 7 Nov 2009
- They Pull at Your Heartstrings Poem - Libations Fr...
- Video: 4 Ecology, Environment, Conservation, Ener...
- Ironic Grinners - Cheeky Quote Day! 4 Nov 2009
- Funny Little Poem About Everybody, Somebody and No...
- Roundup of Late Night Funnies 2 Nov 2009
- Lampooning the News Editorial Cartoons 1 Nov 2009
- ▼ November (31)