10 June 2009
Cheeky Quote Day! 10 June 2009
Photo from typography friendfeed group
Elvis Presley in 1956 on Milton Berle show singing Hound Dog.
From Denny: What is an anagram? Bet you haven't thought about this idea in some time. Well, some people play with their food; writers play with their words! Rearrange words to create another word or phrase, often with hilarious results. You can only use the letters available and only once to produce your fun. The object is to produce another word or phrase that comments upon the original word or phrase used. Now that takes skill!
It can be a synonym, antonym, parody, criticism or praise of the subject used. Here are a couple of funny examples: George Bush = He bugs Gore, Madonna Louise Ciccone = Occasional nude income, and the most famous writer for 400 years now, William Shakespeare = I am a weakish speller.
Today it isn’t quite the brain teaser task it once was. Today we have the internet with fun sites like Wordsmith and Anagram Genius to provide us with the resources of anagram generators.
Anagrams have quite a history as they were popular in the Middle Ages in Europe as well as Greece all the way back to 300 BCE.
I threw the phrase “economic depression” into wordsmith’s generator and up popped all kinds of crazy combinations. The one I liked best was “comedic opines snore.”
From the folks over at wordsmith.org are a few examples of funny anagrams from their Anagram Hall of Fame.
Elvis = Lives
Listen = Silent
Internet Anagram Server = Isn't rearrangement rave?
Dormitory = Dirty Room
Dictionary = Indicatory
Schoolmaster = The classroom
Clint Eastwood = Old West Action
Madam Curie = Radium came
A telephone girl = Repeating "Hello"
Western Union = No Wire Unsent
The country side = No City Dust Here
Evangelist = Evil's Agent
Astronomers = Moon starers / No more stars
Postmaster = Stamp Store
A telescope = To see place
The eyes = They see
The cockroach = Cook, catch her
The Morse Code = Here Come Dots
The Meaning of Life = The fine game of nil
Waitress = A stew, Sir?
Conversation = Voices Rant On
Mr. Mojo risin' = Jim Morrison
(from the Doors song, "L.A. Woman")
The Great New York Rapid Transit Tunnel = Giant work in street, partly underneath
Mother-in-law = Woman Hitler
Funeral = Real Fun
Protectionism = Nice to imports
A domesticated animal = Docile, as a man Tamed it
Butterfly = Flutter-by
Heavy Rain? = Hire a Navy!
The Check is in the Mail = Claim "Heck, I sent it (heh)"
The United States Bureau of Fisheries = I Raise the Bass to Feed Us in the Future
Snooze Alarms = Alas! No More Z's
A Decimal Point = I'm a Dot in Place
The Earthquakes = That Queer Shake
Statue of Liberty = Built to Stay Free
And the best for last, a Biblical quote:
'And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.' = The Word engendered Light as a blast. A delight hit.
Now I double dare you to create a poem out of anagrams! Yikes! That might take me a few months to construct... if ever... BTW, that's a portrait of "me" sleeping on the family dog who's a generous soul...;)
Recent Posts and Archive
- ► 2015 (37)
- ► 2014 (45)
- ► 2013 (100)
- ► 2012 (125)
- ► 2011 (349)
- ► 2010 (415)
- A Spiritual Perspective: Michael Jackson
- What Do You Do to Reach Enlightenment and Then Aft...
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Sanford's ...
- Iran Headlines 28 June 2009
- George Carlin: Outrageous comedian
- Iran Headlines 27 June 2009
- New Software: Find Out Who Follows Your Tweets on...
- Iran Headlines 26 June 2009
- Libatons Friday! 26 June 2009
- Obama Headlines 25 June 2009
- Iran Headlines 25 June 2009
- Happy Birthday to One Talented Trumpeter!
- Iran Headlines 24 June 2009
- Video: Iran Charging Bullet Fee for Retrieving th...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 24 June 2009
- Iran Headlines 23 June 2009
- Video: Bad U.S. Scenarios if Iran Intervention
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - McCain is ...
- 3 Kinds of Men to Honor
- Thank you for your support!
- Why President Obama is Smart in Low-Key Iran Respo...
- Hateful Humor, Hit Counts, and Positive Politics
- Libations Friday! 19 June 2009
- New Additions to Photo Blog Roll!
- The Latest on the Iran Protests
- Awwww Sniffle Sniffle Sigh Awesome Photos
- Cheeky Quote Day! 17 June 2009
- Update: Read the Iranians Twitter Stream on the L...
- Visual Racist Propaganda From The GOP
- Save Lives in Iran: Blog About Their Situation
- Dishonor: Cheated Election Results in Iran
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - The Obama ...
- New Blog Look!
- Top 100 Blogs List
- My Cats, Their Names, and What They Made Me Call T...
- Funny Story: The Mayonnaise Jar and 2 Beers
- New Link Added to Interesting Mountain Climbing Bl...
- New Links Added to The Social Poets Fav Links Page...
- Libations Friday! 12 June 2009
- Organic Coffee That Burns Fat!
- Cheeky Quote Day! 10 June 2009
- 12 Thought Provoking Quotes Posts
- Video: Interview with Experts Panel About Preside...
- 3 Good Laughs!
- Video: Interview with Wall Street Insider as Auth...
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Extremists...
- How the Romantics Understood Poetic Individualism ...
- Parable: Blue Heron Balancing the Wind
- Libations Friday! 5 June 2009
- First Blogger Award: Most Wonderful FAVORITE! Awa...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 3 June 2009
- Consciousness, Thoughts and the Brain
- This Weeks Roundup of Sunday Funnies: Her Time Ha...
- ▼ June (53)