20 June 2009
From Denny: Here is an unusual article about writing in the blogosphere. Since I've never been a fan of political vitriol and character assassination promoted over problem-solving pressing social issues I found this interesting. First I've heard of this Losada Ratio about positive to negative emotions charting what ratio is needed for best group dynamics. There's even some psychology and science involved! :)
"Cruised any politics related web sites recently? Seen any angry, sarcastic, personal attacks wrapped in "humor"? If your answer to the first question was yes and your answer to the second was no, then you either cruise a VERY select set of websites (send me a list, please!) or …. Well, truth to tell, I can’t figure out how you might look through many of the top-rated websites and answer the second question "No."
I was cruising around the web the other day and ran into a post by a blogger who had just gotten his millionth hit. He was giving advice on how to do the same — and since I’m on track to hit that point with my blog in about 2037, maybe I should listen. Then again, maybe not, because two of his key points were to make some enemies and to use enough "vitriolic ad hominem to make sure he never forgets it." Note the lack of an exclamation point on that quote — no excitement here, just sane, sensible advice!
Now, let me note that this advice-giver also suggested that we not confuse "cyber-venom" with "real-world hate", suggesting that the vitriol in web space is equivalent to the theatrics of pro wrestling. And much of it probably is, but that doesn’t mean that engaging in such activities is consequence-free. I suspect that, for many participants, both readers and bloggers, there are very real consequences.
Two words: Losada ratio . Marcial Losada’s research established that positivity has a tipping point. At approximately three positive emotions to one negative, individuals and groups begin to experience life in a new way. Patterns of positive relationships, creativity, collegiality, and forward motion emerge that could not have been predicted before. Goals coalesce, pathways appear, and efficacy surges. Further research shows that the highest levels of group performance require a ratio of 5:1."
By Dave Shearon @ Positive Psychology News Daily
Take a look at this interesting site! Just click on the title link to take you to the rest of the article. Thanks for visiting!
Recent Posts and Archive
- ► 2015 (37)
- ► 2014 (45)
- ► 2013 (100)
- ► 2012 (125)
- ► 2011 (349)
- ► 2010 (415)
- A Spiritual Perspective: Michael Jackson
- What Do You Do to Reach Enlightenment and Then Aft...
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Sanford's ...
- Iran Headlines 28 June 2009
- George Carlin: Outrageous comedian
- Iran Headlines 27 June 2009
- New Software: Find Out Who Follows Your Tweets on...
- Iran Headlines 26 June 2009
- Libatons Friday! 26 June 2009
- Obama Headlines 25 June 2009
- Iran Headlines 25 June 2009
- Happy Birthday to One Talented Trumpeter!
- Iran Headlines 24 June 2009
- Video: Iran Charging Bullet Fee for Retrieving th...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 24 June 2009
- Iran Headlines 23 June 2009
- Video: Bad U.S. Scenarios if Iran Intervention
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - McCain is ...
- 3 Kinds of Men to Honor
- Thank you for your support!
- Why President Obama is Smart in Low-Key Iran Respo...
- Hateful Humor, Hit Counts, and Positive Politics
- Libations Friday! 19 June 2009
- New Additions to Photo Blog Roll!
- The Latest on the Iran Protests
- Awwww Sniffle Sniffle Sigh Awesome Photos
- Cheeky Quote Day! 17 June 2009
- Update: Read the Iranians Twitter Stream on the L...
- Visual Racist Propaganda From The GOP
- Save Lives in Iran: Blog About Their Situation
- Dishonor: Cheated Election Results in Iran
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - The Obama ...
- New Blog Look!
- Top 100 Blogs List
- My Cats, Their Names, and What They Made Me Call T...
- Funny Story: The Mayonnaise Jar and 2 Beers
- New Link Added to Interesting Mountain Climbing Bl...
- New Links Added to The Social Poets Fav Links Page...
- Libations Friday! 12 June 2009
- Organic Coffee That Burns Fat!
- Cheeky Quote Day! 10 June 2009
- 12 Thought Provoking Quotes Posts
- Video: Interview with Experts Panel About Preside...
- 3 Good Laughs!
- Video: Interview with Wall Street Insider as Auth...
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Extremists...
- How the Romantics Understood Poetic Individualism ...
- Parable: Blue Heron Balancing the Wind
- Libations Friday! 5 June 2009
- First Blogger Award: Most Wonderful FAVORITE! Awa...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 3 June 2009
- Consciousness, Thoughts and the Brain
- This Weeks Roundup of Sunday Funnies: Her Time Ha...
- ▼ June (53)