05 June 2009
Libations Friday! 5 June 2009
Frozen expresso yogurt and ginger candied coffee cake recipes - and an original poem thrown in for good measure to start your weekend!
From Denny: Welcome to Libations Friday! This expresso frozen yogurt recipe looked so easy and cooling in the early summer heat. After you read the poem you will laugh a second time as to my choosing this frozen recipe. Some people get “after taste” when they dine; you will get “after chuckle” when you read! :)
Both recipes are quick and easy, perfect for the weekend! The coffee cake answered my question of what to do with all that crystallized candied ginger I buy from time to time during the holiday season – and then wonder what’s next…
Low-fat Expresso Coffee Frozen Yogurt
“Only lightly sweetened, this yogurt is good as is, but perhaps is better with a dash of chocolate syrup over the top. - John Kessler”
From: Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Hands on time: 5 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
1/2 cup strong espresso, cooled
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 quart plain yogurt
In a bowl, combine espresso, sugar and yogurt until smooth. Churn in ice cream maker until thick like soft-serve ice cream, about 20 minutes depending on the machine.
Per serving: 124 calories (percent of calories from fat, 28), 4 grams protein, 18 grams carbohydrates, no fiber, 4 grams fat (3 grams saturated), 16 milligrams cholesterol, 57 milligrams sodium.
Pear Ginger Coffee Cake
From: Atlanta Journal-Constitution
“Perfect for: Breakfasts, brunches, coffees, meetings, office gatherings.
Make and take: Bake ahead of time, cover pan with foil and serve at room temperature.
Made famous by Maralyn Christoffersen of Atlanta, who got it from the Penzeys’ Spices catalog. "I served it at my book club and everybody wanted the recipe," she said.
Candied ginger adds just a touch of zing to this tender cake.”
Hands on time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups diced (1/4 to 1/2 inch) and peeled pears
1/4 cup cinnamon sugar (or 1/4 cup granulated sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon)
2 to 4 tablespoons crystallized (candied) ginger, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray with cooking spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan and dust with granulated sugar, if desired. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, salt and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
Sift together the flour and baking soda. Alternately add the flour mixture in two parts with the buttermilk, beating a minute or two after each addition.
Fold in the pears. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon sugar and the ginger and sprinkle on top.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Cool at least 20 minutes before serving; serve warm or at room temperature.
Total time includes 20 minutes of cooling time before serving.
Tip: Although pear goes especially well with candied ginger, you can also substitute apples or berries for the pears. For best flavor, says Christoffersen, use real butter and whole buttermilk.
Per serving: 209 calories (percent of calories from fat, 29), 3 grams protein, 35 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram fiber, 7 grams fat (4 grams saturated), 30 milligrams cholesterol, 184 milligrams sodium.
Now on to the poetry portion of Libations Friday!
Bitter Romance in the Garden
A parable about relationships and humor found after a bitter romance.
Moody twilight rolled down the hilly sky
Lush garden welcomed me softly.
The lover looked on in secret;
Seductively, he whispered on the wind.
He escaped my notice;
Perfumed rose breezes distracted.
Pleasant, ending of the day.
Not seen, he brushed lightly my wrist, more;
I turned to see whose touch, no one.
The twilight lay down to sleep deep night.
I retired to my curving bed, wondering,
Who was that secret lover, unseen?
Next day at first light, I awakened.
At once, I knew that bitter lover, his name:
You, cad, you.
Two weeks later, remembering,
Wearing, enduring your caustic kiss.
Decadent baths three times daily,
Soak away your incendiary romance,
Cooling the passion of your
Whispered, burning kiss.
No summer’s friend,
Liar in the garden,
False promising, secret lover,
Nature’s sneaky misfit,
You, cad, you.
Beware that bitter garden romance…
Copyright 4 June 2009
All Rights Reserved
Thanks for visiting, everyone! Have a great weekend; keep laughing!
Coffee Photo by once and future @ flickr
Garden Photo by Athena's Pix @ flickr
Recent Posts and Archive
- ► 2015 (37)
- ► 2014 (45)
- ► 2013 (100)
- ► 2012 (125)
- ► 2011 (349)
- ► 2010 (415)
- A Spiritual Perspective: Michael Jackson
- What Do You Do to Reach Enlightenment and Then Aft...
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Sanford's ...
- Iran Headlines 28 June 2009
- George Carlin: Outrageous comedian
- Iran Headlines 27 June 2009
- New Software: Find Out Who Follows Your Tweets on...
- Iran Headlines 26 June 2009
- Libatons Friday! 26 June 2009
- Obama Headlines 25 June 2009
- Iran Headlines 25 June 2009
- Happy Birthday to One Talented Trumpeter!
- Iran Headlines 24 June 2009
- Video: Iran Charging Bullet Fee for Retrieving th...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 24 June 2009
- Iran Headlines 23 June 2009
- Video: Bad U.S. Scenarios if Iran Intervention
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - McCain is ...
- 3 Kinds of Men to Honor
- Thank you for your support!
- Why President Obama is Smart in Low-Key Iran Respo...
- Hateful Humor, Hit Counts, and Positive Politics
- Libations Friday! 19 June 2009
- New Additions to Photo Blog Roll!
- The Latest on the Iran Protests
- Awwww Sniffle Sniffle Sigh Awesome Photos
- Cheeky Quote Day! 17 June 2009
- Update: Read the Iranians Twitter Stream on the L...
- Visual Racist Propaganda From The GOP
- Save Lives in Iran: Blog About Their Situation
- Dishonor: Cheated Election Results in Iran
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - The Obama ...
- New Blog Look!
- Top 100 Blogs List
- My Cats, Their Names, and What They Made Me Call T...
- Funny Story: The Mayonnaise Jar and 2 Beers
- New Link Added to Interesting Mountain Climbing Bl...
- New Links Added to The Social Poets Fav Links Page...
- Libations Friday! 12 June 2009
- Organic Coffee That Burns Fat!
- Cheeky Quote Day! 10 June 2009
- 12 Thought Provoking Quotes Posts
- Video: Interview with Experts Panel About Preside...
- 3 Good Laughs!
- Video: Interview with Wall Street Insider as Auth...
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Extremists...
- How the Romantics Understood Poetic Individualism ...
- Parable: Blue Heron Balancing the Wind
- Libations Friday! 5 June 2009
- First Blogger Award: Most Wonderful FAVORITE! Awa...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 3 June 2009
- Consciousness, Thoughts and the Brain
- This Weeks Roundup of Sunday Funnies: Her Time Ha...
- ▼ June (53)