17 June 2009
Cheeky Quote Day! 17 June 2009
Photo in Paris by Dragunsk @ flickr
From Denny: Have you been to the Quote Garden site that’s been around for over a decade on the web? There is so much going on over there! Here are some of their funny quotes about language usage:
The quantity of consonants in the English language is constant. If omitted in one place, they turn up in another. When a Bostonian "pahks" his "cah," the lost r's migrate southwest, causing a Texan to "warsh" his car and invest in "erl wells." ~ Author Unknown
Photo by PinkMoose @ flickr
English is a funny language; that explains why we park our car on the driveway and drive our car on the parkway. ~ Author Unknown
No one means all he says, and yet very few say all they mean, for words are slippery and thought is viscous. ~ Henry Brooks Adams, The Education of Henry Adams, 1907
Language forces us to perceive the world as man presents it to us. ~ Julia Penelope
Thanks to words, we have been able to rise above the brutes; and thanks to words, we have often sunk to the level of the demons. ~ Aldous Huxley
The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand. ~ Lewis Thomas
Language is the most imperfect and expensive means yet discovered for communicating thought. ~ William James
Photo by eye2eye @ flickr
One man's frankness is another man's vulgarity. ~ Kevin Smith
I personally believe we developed language because of our deep inner need to complain. ~ Jane Wagner
Euphemisms are unpleasant truths wearing diplomatic cologne. ~ Quentin Crisp
At no time is freedom of speech more precious than when a man hits his thumb with a hammer. ~ Marshall Lumsden
Photo by respres @ flickr
Slang is a language that rolls up its sleeves, spits on its hands and goes to work. ~ Carl Sandburg, New York Times, 13 February 1959
In certain trying circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer. ~ Mark Twain
It's a strange world of language in which skating on thin ice can get you into hot water. ~ Franklin P. Jones
Photo by ibanda @ flickr
Man is a creature who lives not upon bread alone, but primarily by catchwords. ~ Robert Louis Stevenson
A good catchword can obscure analysis for fifty years. ~ Wendell L. Willkie
Our major obligation is not to mistake slogans for solutions. ~ Edward R. Murrow
I like the word "indolence." It makes my laziness seem classy. ~ Bern Williams
Language is the dress of thought. ~ Samuel Johnson
If you can speak three languages you're trilingual. If you can speak two languages you're bilingual. If you can speak only one language you're an American. ~ Author Unknown
Do you have any favorites? Let me know what you think! Quotes are always a great launching point for a post...
Recent Posts and Archive
- ► 2015 (37)
- ► 2014 (45)
- ► 2013 (100)
- ► 2012 (125)
- ► 2011 (349)
- ► 2010 (415)
- A Spiritual Perspective: Michael Jackson
- What Do You Do to Reach Enlightenment and Then Aft...
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Sanford's ...
- Iran Headlines 28 June 2009
- George Carlin: Outrageous comedian
- Iran Headlines 27 June 2009
- New Software: Find Out Who Follows Your Tweets on...
- Iran Headlines 26 June 2009
- Libatons Friday! 26 June 2009
- Obama Headlines 25 June 2009
- Iran Headlines 25 June 2009
- Happy Birthday to One Talented Trumpeter!
- Iran Headlines 24 June 2009
- Video: Iran Charging Bullet Fee for Retrieving th...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 24 June 2009
- Iran Headlines 23 June 2009
- Video: Bad U.S. Scenarios if Iran Intervention
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - McCain is ...
- 3 Kinds of Men to Honor
- Thank you for your support!
- Why President Obama is Smart in Low-Key Iran Respo...
- Hateful Humor, Hit Counts, and Positive Politics
- Libations Friday! 19 June 2009
- New Additions to Photo Blog Roll!
- The Latest on the Iran Protests
- Awwww Sniffle Sniffle Sigh Awesome Photos
- Cheeky Quote Day! 17 June 2009
- Update: Read the Iranians Twitter Stream on the L...
- Visual Racist Propaganda From The GOP
- Save Lives in Iran: Blog About Their Situation
- Dishonor: Cheated Election Results in Iran
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - The Obama ...
- New Blog Look!
- Top 100 Blogs List
- My Cats, Their Names, and What They Made Me Call T...
- Funny Story: The Mayonnaise Jar and 2 Beers
- New Link Added to Interesting Mountain Climbing Bl...
- New Links Added to The Social Poets Fav Links Page...
- Libations Friday! 12 June 2009
- Organic Coffee That Burns Fat!
- Cheeky Quote Day! 10 June 2009
- 12 Thought Provoking Quotes Posts
- Video: Interview with Experts Panel About Preside...
- 3 Good Laughs!
- Video: Interview with Wall Street Insider as Auth...
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Extremists...
- How the Romantics Understood Poetic Individualism ...
- Parable: Blue Heron Balancing the Wind
- Libations Friday! 5 June 2009
- First Blogger Award: Most Wonderful FAVORITE! Awa...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 3 June 2009
- Consciousness, Thoughts and the Brain
- This Weeks Roundup of Sunday Funnies: Her Time Ha...
- ▼ June (53)