*** Our body language reveals much about our thoughts, telegraphing it to others if only we learn the language and how to read it.
President Obama's hand gestures
From Denny: Are you right or left hand dominant? President Obama is left hand dominant and when he wants to discuss his favorite things he favors using his left hand to gesture.
Left hand dominant people studied
Scientists have studied the left-hand dominant like the President. Researchers discovered that left-handers tend to favor their left hand when discussing any subject of which they feel positive. Left-handers use their right hand to gesture when they feel negative about a subject. Are you a right-hand dominant? Then the results are the opposite: you use your right hand to gesture when you feel positive and your left hand when you feel negative.
Researchers studied last two presidential election candidates
This study was published in PloS ONE. Scientists studied tapes from the final American presidential debates from 2004 and 2008. They were wondering if they could spot a right or left hand bias gesture from the candidates. A curious fact here: in the 2004 election both candidates were right hand dominant. In the 2008 election both candidates were left hand dominant.
We talk with our hands
You know what they say, "Americans talk with their hands, especially politicians - and angry women." Politicians unconsciously telegraphed their true feelings by use of their hand gestures. An interesting observation from this study about candidate Obama was that when he spoke about health care passionately he used his left hand to gesture, indicating he felt positive about the subject. When talking about the Iraq War he gestured with his right hand, indicating he felt negative about the subject.
President George Bush is right hand dominant. When he felt positive about a subject he favored his right hand. When he felt negative about a subject he favored his left hand.
Positive associations with our dominant hand, negative with our less dominant hand
What's funny about this study is that it also revealed that people tend to have negative or positive associations with which hand is dominant. If you are right-hand dominant you are more inclined to believe things on the right are "good," while anything oriented to the left like people or images are "bad." With left-hand dominant people the opposite is true.
Amusing findings from volunteer study
Here's what was really amusing during the study. The study volunteers were shown a drawing. In this drawing was a group of space aliens sitting side by side. The perception reached? Those who were right hand dominant concluded that those aliens on the right end of the picture were supposedly smarter, happier, more honest and more attractive than the aliens on the left side of the picture. Left hand dominant folks preferred the aliens on the left side of the picture, viewing them in the same positive light.
"Overall, the data support the idea that people associate good things with the side of the body they can use most fluently – dominant is fluent, and fluent is good," says the study’s lead author Daniel Casasanto of the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics in Nijmegen, Netherlands.
"It’s a good example of how our bodies influence the way we think without our ever knowing anything about it," says Diane Halpern, a professor of psychology at Claremont McKenna College.
Body language observation a handy quick lie detector
Talk about an easy quick and handy lie detector. Think of all the situations it could be used: political campaigns, a cheating spouse or your boss. The next time you get an evaluation at work, pay very close attention to their hand gestures to know their true feelings. And as far as knowing for whom to vote, well, that should be obvious now that you know their true feelings.
*** THANKS for visiting, feel welcome to drop a comment or opinion, enjoy bookmarking this post on your favorite social site, a big shout out to awesome current subscribers – and if you are new to this blog, please subscribe in a reader or by email updates!
*** Come by for a visit and check out my other blogs:
The Social Poets - news, politics
The Soul Calendar - science, astronomy, psychology
Visual Insights - photos, art, music
Beautiful Illustrated Quotations - spiritual quotes, philosophy
Poems From A Spiritual Heart - poetry
The Healing Waters - health news
Dennys People Watching - people in the news
Dennys Food and Recipes
Dennys Funny Quotes - humor
Recent Posts and Archive
- ► 2015 (37)
- ► 2014 (45)
- ► 2013 (100)
- ► 2012 (125)
- ► 2011 (349)
- Internet down
- Majority in Poll Say America Still Not Ready For B...
- Roundup of Late Night Funnies - 23 Aug 2010
- Funny Video: Stewart Rips Fox News Lies About Grou...
- Funny Video: Colbert on America as The Straight M...
- Funny Video: Campy Bed Bug PSA
- Posts Roundup at Dennys Blogs - 22 Aug 2010
- BP Screws Over Gulf Residents With New Claims Rest...
- Economy, Afghan War, America, World Politics Carto...
- Obama Family Photos and New Michelle Obama Portrai...
- Scumbag WikiLeaks Founder Assange Charged With Rap...
- Poetess Defies, Shocks Saudi Arabia
- Funny Back to School Quotes and Cartoons - Cheeky ...
- Funny Video: Truth Is Bush Tax Cuts Are 30 Percent...
- Roundup of Late Night Funnies - 16 Aug 2010
- Funny Video: Newt Gingrich Mocked by Colbert For L...
- Posts Roundup at Dennys Blogs - 15 Aug 2010
- Obama Blasted for Saying Religious Tolerance OK in...
- America and World Politics Cartoons - 14 Aug 2010
- Obama Sends Thousands More Jobs Out of America: M...
- Doctor Says Kids Suffer More From Gulf Oil Spill
- Is Obama A Lame Duck Already? Fire Team Obama to S...
- How Male Journalists Fight: Whiz All Over Each Oth...
- Earth to White House: Why You Are Getting Criticiz...
- Roundup of Late Night Funnies - 9 Aug 2010
- Funny Video: Jon Stewart Comments on Gay Marriage ...
- Funny Video: Colbert Reveals Master Plan to Ruin G...
- Posts Roundup at Dennys Blogs - 8 Aug 2010
- Cartoons: American Economy, Immigration, Iraq and ...
- What Is Prez Obama Really Thinking? Watch His Hand...
- Vision of The Gardener Prophet poem - Libations Fr...
- Is The Oil Spill Really Gone in the Gulf, More Smo...
- Speaker Pelosi Champions Unemployed, Orders House ...
- Roundup of Late Night Funnies - 2 Aug 2010
- Funny Video: Colberts Live Tony Hayward Cam Tracki...
- Funny Video: Jon Stewart Mocks Media For Sorry Wik...
- Posts Roundup at Dennys Blogs - 1 Aug 2010
- ▼ August (37)
- ► 2009 (533)