07 August 2009
Libations Friday! 7 August 2009
Featured today: Great historical, sometimes hysterical, coffee trivia, funny video using rap words to sell a car, original poem about how our words create our life.
How well do you know your coffee trivia?
* In Europe how was coffee first known? Arabian Wine
* When did milk in your coffee become popular? It was recommended by a French physician in the 1680’s as café au lait for medicinal purposes. (And we have been following his prescription ever since in Louisiana all these centuries later!)
* When did the first Parisian café open serving coffee? 1689
* What famous classical composer wrote a coffee cantata in 1732? Bach
* By 1763 in Venice just how many coffee shops had sprung up? Over 200
* We all studied America history about the Boston Tea Party where the ticked off colonists were angry about the heavy tea tax imposed on us in 1773 and dumped chests of tea into the Boston harbor. What new custom became an expression of freedom after that? Drinking coffee.
* During the American Revolution where did the founding fathers secretly meet to form their national strategies? Coffeehouses.
* What is consumed so much in the United States that it represents 75% of all caffeine consumed? Coffee
* By the time of the Civil War in the United States what suddenly became a newly issued food ration to the soldiers because of its popularity? Coffee beans
* By 1900 what could you expect to be delivered to your door in the United States by horse-pulled wagons besides blocks of ice? Coffee.
* How do Italians regard the drinking of expresso? For them it is a separate event, given a special time of celebration and not drunk during meals.
* What is regulated by the Italian government because it is considered essential to the quality of daily life? Expresso.
* In the ancient Arab world women often did not fare well under the law. What law allowed them to separate from their husbands if he did not do one thing for his wife? His number was up legally if he refused to produce coffee for his wife. Moral of that story: If Momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy?
* Other than brewing coffee as we know it how do they like coffee in Africa? They soak the raw coffee beans in water and spices and chew on them like yummy candy!
On to the poetry section of today’s post!
First this amusing video of spoken poetry, rhyme and music to show the importance of how we use our words. Enjoy!
***** Original poem & great photos @ flickr *****
Life of Words
Paper poem words photo by giuvax @ flickr
Words give Life
Halting words of a shy speech maker
Harassing words of a haranguing bully
Stumbling words of a hero mustering courage
Fighting words of stubborn not changing
Dali face time photo by TheAlieness GiselaGiardino23 @ flickr
Words change Life
Promising words of agreeing politicians
Deceptive words of pledging marketers
Comforting words of caring pastor
Angry words of spiritual rebellion
Awesome photo by Torley @ flickr
Words inspire Life
Wounded words of sadly abused
Healing words of gratefully cured
Hurting words of bickering spouses
Soothing words of negotiating peace makers
Go photo by ali Edwards @ flickr
Words grow Life
Love photo by erin MC hammer @ flickr
Copyright 6 August 2009
All Rights Reserved
Coffee photo collage by once and future @ flickr
Thanks for visiting, everyone! Have a great weekend!
words, denny lyon, poetry, Society and Culture, Arts and Literature, funny video
Recent Posts and Archive
- ► 2015 (37)
- ► 2014 (45)
- ► 2013 (100)
- ► 2012 (125)
- ► 2011 (349)
- ► 2010 (415)
- When Graphic Artists Get Bored
- Roundup of This Weeks Sunday Funnies - Goodbye Cas...
- Funny Ted Kennedy Quote
- 4 Videos: Funny Speakers at Kennedys Irish Wake
- 4 Videos: More Funny Speakers at Kennedys Wake
- President Obama's Eulogy of Friend Senator Ted Ken...
- 3 Videos: Public Turns Out for Ted Kennedy, Rober...
- How Senator Ted Kennedy Affected Your Life in Amer...
- 4 Videos: Lion of the Senate Ted Kennedy Dies
- Cheeky Quote Day! 26 August 2009
- Funny Illusion Photo: The Art of Hiding Well
- Video: Obama Justice Dept Shuts Up Republicans, S...
- This Weeks Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Afghanistan...
- Video: Obama Fever Hits Martha Vineyard for Presi...
- Video: Lockerbie Bomber Released by Scotland Unex...
- Just Some Poetry.
- Libations Friday! 21 August 2009
- Video: World of the Ridiculous - License Your Stu...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 19 August 2009
- Video: Hip Shaking Grannys Got Dance Game!
- Video: Honoring Eunice Kennedy Shriver Who Honore...
- This Weeks Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Watch Out O...
- Videos: Dems Nail the Death Panel Guys on Meet Th...
- Video: Making a Difference for Inner City Kids Th...
- Video: Making a Difference for Native Americans t...
- Libations Friday! 14 August 2009
- Video: The WHOLE Truth That Happened at the McCas...
- Video: Dancing Philippines Prisoners to Micahel J...
- Video: Wingnut Politics Against Health Care and O...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 12 August 2009
- 25 Weird Coffee Trivia to Astound and Amuse You
- This Weeks Roundup of Sunday Funnies: Sotomayors ...
- Video: Hispanic Sototmayor Finally Confirmed to H...
- Sonia Sotomayor Sworn In Today!
- Libations Friday! 7 August 2009
- The Stasi File on Michael Jackson
- Video: Making A Difference - Father's Heart Ranch...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 5 August 2009
- Breaking News: Bill Clinton Retrieves 2 U.S. Jail...
- New Book Titles Added to The Social Poets Store
- Funny Video: William Shatner Puts Gov. Sarah Pali...
- Funny Video: William Shatner Recites Gov. Sarah P...
- Link to Video: Hillary Clinton's Cutting Edge Dig...
- Blogging with Ads and a Blog Store
- Video: Obama's Aides Cautious Over Economy
- Joke: Smart Dog Goes Meat Shopping
- Trial Charges Against Iranian Moderates Are Flimsy...
- 3 Comic Strips: Ancient Egypt to Todays Politics ...
- Busy Week in World Politics Challenging Government...
- ▼ August (49)