27 August 2009
How Senator Ted Kennedy Affected Your Life in America
From Denny: Did you know that Ted Kennedy passed over 300 bills during his tenure in the Senate? He also co-authored another 550!
“Ted Kennedy changed the circumstances of tens of millions of Americans,” VP Biden.
How did he affect our lives today? How does that translate into your everyday life that this generation may take for granted was always there?
Here are just a few examples that make life easier for so many to live well:
Wheelchair ramps: wheelchair access in public places; those are thanks to Ted Kennedy.
Minimum wage: you earn more thanks to Kennedy
Children’s Health Insurance: he went to bat for the most vulnerable members of our society – children
Kennedy was the driving force behind COBRA - for people in need of health insurance when just fired from a job.
He developed personal relationships with people like a 6 year old child suffering from diabetes who could have benefited from stem cell research. He didn’t just use her in front of the cameras for politics. She first wrote him a letter asking for his help on pushing for stem cell research; he read that letter on the Senate floor. For years he privately corresponded with Lauren Stanford, thanking her for her help and encouraging her in her fight with juvenile diabetes. The public never knew about that.
Christi Coombs, September 11th widow: Kennedy wrote her every year on the anniversary of her husband’s death. She recognized he truly did know what loss she was feeling as he had experienced so much loss in his life. The public never knew about that either.
Ted Kennedy at the Democratic Convention in 2008 - Photo (Mike Segar / Reuters)
Senator Kennedy, kicks off the Democratic Party's national convention Aug. 25, 2008, his was a performance that galvanized the audience, producing a roaring frenzy. The crowd cheered, then wiped away tears for several minutes, then cheered again. They knew Ted was thhe last living Kennedy brother.
He smiled and declared loudly, "My fellow Americans, it is so wonderful to be here." He was alluding to news reports hinting his doctors were hesitant to allow him to travel to the Denver convention.
The Senator continued, "Nothing, nothing is going to keep me away from this special gathering tonight. I have come here tonight to stand with you, to change America, to restore its future, to rise to our best ideals and to elect Barack Obama President of the United States."
Take a look at his long list of accomplishments that affect our lives to the postive!
The Civil Rights Act of 1964
The Voting Rights Act of 1965
The Americans with Disabilities Act
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act
The Family and Medical Leave Act
The Fair Housing Act
No Child Left Behind Act
AMBER Alert Notification Systems Funding
The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
The Meals on Wheels Act (elderly)
The Economic Opportunity Act
The Occupational Health and Safety Act
The National Community Health Center Program
The Elementary and Secondary Education Act
The Bilingual Education Act
The Older American Community Service Employment Act
The Low Income Heating Energy Assistance Program
Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Nutrition Program
Title IX of the Education Amendments (female athletes)
Individuals with Disabilities Education
Civil Rights Commission Act Amendments
Civil Rights for Institutionalized Persons Act
Comprehensive Crime Control Act
1985 Anti-Apartheid Act
Employment Opportunities for Disabled Americans Act
The Handicapped Children’s Protection Act
The Fair Housing Act Amendments
The National Military Child Care Act
The 1980 Refuge Act
The Job Training Partnership Act
The Civil Rights Act of 1991
Summer Jobs for Youth Program
The Mammography Quality Standards Act
The National and Community Service Trust Act (created AmeriCorps)
The School-to-Work Opportunities Act
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program
Children’s Health Insurance Program
Work Incentives Improvement Act
The Minority Health and Disparities Research and Education Act
2002 Bioterrorism Preparedness Act
The Pediatric Graduate Medical Education Act
Enhanced Border Security and Visa Reform Act
The Project Bioshield Act
The Family Opportunity Act
The Ryan White Care Act (for AIDS patients)
The Higher Education Opportunity Act
The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act
In honor of Ted Kennedy, President Obama signed a $5.7 billion national service bill April 21, 2009.
The bipartisan Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act strives to open up new service opportunities for millions of Americans, tripling the size of the AmeriCorps service program over the next eight years.
"I'm asking you to stand up and play your part," said the president. Kennedy championed the legislation with Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah. Photo (SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images)
Senator "Ted" Kennedy changed history in America. He fought against racism and sexism. He championed the poor for equal opportunities for jobs, homes and being able to go to college.
Too many middle class Republican families who foolishly denounce Ted Kennedy do so without full knowledge of how he has benefited their lives. They have been the direct beneficiaries of his humanity.
Among many fights for the middle class, it was Ted Kennedy who fought hard to provide college grant money to middle income families, not just the poor. This generation owes a lot of their successful lifestyle to his endeavors to make America a better country and a better society. Let not his humanity fall on deaf ears to the next generation...
Barack Obama, Senator Ted Kennedy, Democrats, diabetes, Politics, September 11th, America
Recent Posts and Archive
- ► 2015 (37)
- ► 2014 (45)
- ► 2013 (100)
- ► 2012 (125)
- ► 2011 (349)
- ► 2010 (415)
- When Graphic Artists Get Bored
- Roundup of This Weeks Sunday Funnies - Goodbye Cas...
- Funny Ted Kennedy Quote
- 4 Videos: Funny Speakers at Kennedys Irish Wake
- 4 Videos: More Funny Speakers at Kennedys Wake
- President Obama's Eulogy of Friend Senator Ted Ken...
- 3 Videos: Public Turns Out for Ted Kennedy, Rober...
- How Senator Ted Kennedy Affected Your Life in Amer...
- 4 Videos: Lion of the Senate Ted Kennedy Dies
- Cheeky Quote Day! 26 August 2009
- Funny Illusion Photo: The Art of Hiding Well
- Video: Obama Justice Dept Shuts Up Republicans, S...
- This Weeks Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Afghanistan...
- Video: Obama Fever Hits Martha Vineyard for Presi...
- Video: Lockerbie Bomber Released by Scotland Unex...
- Just Some Poetry.
- Libations Friday! 21 August 2009
- Video: World of the Ridiculous - License Your Stu...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 19 August 2009
- Video: Hip Shaking Grannys Got Dance Game!
- Video: Honoring Eunice Kennedy Shriver Who Honore...
- This Weeks Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Watch Out O...
- Videos: Dems Nail the Death Panel Guys on Meet Th...
- Video: Making a Difference for Inner City Kids Th...
- Video: Making a Difference for Native Americans t...
- Libations Friday! 14 August 2009
- Video: The WHOLE Truth That Happened at the McCas...
- Video: Dancing Philippines Prisoners to Micahel J...
- Video: Wingnut Politics Against Health Care and O...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 12 August 2009
- 25 Weird Coffee Trivia to Astound and Amuse You
- This Weeks Roundup of Sunday Funnies: Sotomayors ...
- Video: Hispanic Sototmayor Finally Confirmed to H...
- Sonia Sotomayor Sworn In Today!
- Libations Friday! 7 August 2009
- The Stasi File on Michael Jackson
- Video: Making A Difference - Father's Heart Ranch...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 5 August 2009
- Breaking News: Bill Clinton Retrieves 2 U.S. Jail...
- New Book Titles Added to The Social Poets Store
- Funny Video: William Shatner Puts Gov. Sarah Pali...
- Funny Video: William Shatner Recites Gov. Sarah P...
- Link to Video: Hillary Clinton's Cutting Edge Dig...
- Blogging with Ads and a Blog Store
- Video: Obama's Aides Cautious Over Economy
- Joke: Smart Dog Goes Meat Shopping
- Trial Charges Against Iranian Moderates Are Flimsy...
- 3 Comic Strips: Ancient Egypt to Todays Politics ...
- Busy Week in World Politics Challenging Government...
- ▼ August (49)