22 July 2009
Cheeky Quote Day! 22 July 2009
Funny Quotes about unemployment and jobs from the Quote Garden.
Clown Photo by Tanzan @ flickr
From Denny: When the world is in chaos, the economy is confused and your 401K is now a 201K and descending, you just have to laugh about it all! Over at the Quote Garden site, bless their industrious little souls, they actually had a category for unemployment and another one for jobs quotes. I managed to cull out the lighter ones, enjoy!
We pretend to work because they pretend to pay us. ~ Author Unknown
It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it's a depression when you lose your own. ~ President Harry S. Truman
Unemployment is capitalism's way of getting you to plant a garden. ~ Orson Scott Card
The trouble with unemployment is that the minute you wake up in the morning you're on the job. ~ Slappy White
Cessation of work is not accompanied by cessation of expenses. ~ Cato the Elder
An "acceptable" level of unemployment means that the government economist to whom it is acceptable still has a job. ~ Author Unknown
Unemployment diminishes people. Leisure enlarges them. ~ Mason Cooley
(Hmmm… is this guy telling us that now is a great time to lose weight???)
We believe that if men have the talent to invent new machines that put men out of work, they have the talent to put those men back to work. ~ President John F. Kennedy
(Will someone please send this quote to the Republicans?)
When I quit working, I lost all sense of identity in about fifteen minutes. ~ Paige Rense
What is the good of being a genius if you cannot use it as an excuse for being unemployed? ~ Gerald Barzan
The number one sign you have nothing to do at work: The 4th Division of Paperclips has overrun the Pushpin Infantry and General White-Out has called for a new skirmish. ~ Fred Barling, "Humorscope"
Find a job you like and you add five days to every week. ~ H. Jackson Browne
Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties. ~ Doug Larson
Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work. ~ Robert Orben
If a train station is where the train stops, what's a work station? ~ Author Unknown
Executive ability is deciding quickly and getting somebody else to do the work. ~ John G. Pollard
Many people quit looking for work when they find a job. ~ Author Unknown
A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B. ~ "Fats" Domino
Monday is a lame way to spend 1/7 of your life. ~ Author Unknown
Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats. ~ Howard Aiken
A Mission Statement is a dense slab of words that a large organization produces when it needs to establish that its workers are not just sitting around downloading Internet porn. ~ Dave Barry
The supreme accomplishment is to blur the line between work and play. ~ Arnold Toynbee
The closest to perfection a person ever comes is when he fills out a job application form. ~ Stanley J. Randall
Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so. ~ Douglas Adams
I have never liked working. To me a job is an invasion of privacy. ~ Danny McGoorty
Researchers at Harvard say that taking a power nap for an hour in the afternoon can totally refresh you. They say that by the time you wake up you'll feel so good, you'll be able to start looking for a new job. ~ Jay Leno
I've met a few people in my time who were enthusiastic about hard work. And it was just my luck that all of them happened to be men I was working for at the time. ~ Bill Gold
A baseball game is twice as much fun if you're seeing it on the company's time. ~ William C. Feather
Law of the Alibi: If you tell the boss you were late for work because you had a flat tire, the very next morning you will have a flat tire. ~ Author Unknown
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field. ~ Niels Bohr
You're no good unless you are a good assistant; and if you are, you're too good to be an assistant. ~ Martin H. Fischer
People who work sitting down get paid more than people who work standing up. ~ Ogden Nash
Commuter - one who spends his life
In riding to and from his wife;
A man who shaves and takes a train,
And then rides back to shave again.
~ E.B. White, "The Commuter," Poems and Sketches, 1982
The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get into the office. ~ Robert Frost
The difference between a job and a career is the difference between forty and sixty hours a week. ~ Robert Frost
Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion. ~ C. Northcote Parkinson, 1958
A memorandum is written not to inform the reader but to protect the writer. ~ Dean Acheson
(Otherwise known as C.Y.A)
What is it that you like doing? If you don't like it, get out of it, because you'll be lousy at it. ~ Lee Iacocca
One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important. ~ Bertrand Russell
What the world really needs is more love and less paper work. ~ Pearl Bailey
Retired is being twice tired, I've thought
First tired of working,
Then tired of not.
~ Richard Armour
Statistics indicate that, as a result of overwork, modern executives are dropping like flies on the nation's golf courses. ~ Ira Wallach
I think my idea of retirement might be to one day work a 40-hour week. ~ Vince McMahon
By working faithfully eight hours a day you may eventually get to be boss and work twelve hours a day. ~ Robert Frost
The best time to start thinking about your retirement is before the boss does. ~ Author Unknown
Adults are always asking little kids what they want to be when they grow up because they're looking for ideas. ~ Paula Poundstone
If you don't like your job you don't strike. You just go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. ~ Homer Simpson, The Simpsons
(Let's see: half-assed pay = half-assed work or the old proverb: If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.)
John F. Kennedy, Cheeky Quote Day, Orson Scott Card, Bertrand Russell, Dave Barry, United States, C. Northcote Parkinson, Harry Truman, Dean Acheson, the social poets, Denny Lyon, unemployment quotes, jobs quotes, Quote Garden, humor, funny quotes
Recent Posts and Archive
- ► 2015 (37)
- ► 2014 (45)
- ► 2013 (100)
- ► 2012 (125)
- ► 2011 (349)
- ► 2010 (415)
- Politics: FINALLY! House Votes to Restrict Wall ...
- Libations Friday! 31 July 2009
- Falling in love again: A poem about opening yourse...
- Joke: Cat Goes to Heaven
- Video: Hurricane Katrina Super Volunteers 4 Years...
- Video: Cat in the Sack
- Cheeky Quote Day! 29 July 2009
- Video: Economic Worst Is Over?
- Video: Hillary Taking Charge
- Video: Uninsured America
- This Weeks Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Cambridge C...
- Video: What Made Wedding Video a Web Hit?
- Video: Wedding Party Recreates Blissful Boogie fo...
- Poem: Kiss Me Soft
- Viral Video: Wedding Entrance Dance
- Libations Friday! 24 July 2009
- Video: Obama's Prime Time News Conference Health ...
- Totally Ridiculous Comedy: Jacks Nightclub
- Millions Watch Solar Eclipse: Awe and Fear
- Cheeky Quote Day! 22 July 2009
- Video: Artsy Fascinating Ad for the PEN Series Ca...
- Does Happiness Elude You?
- Funny Video: I Just Want A Pizza!
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Biden Lick...
- How Do You Handle Excessive Stress?
- Update: Foreign Exchange Students Abuse Scandal
- Bloggers Unite: Global Human Rights Abuses
- Libations Friday! 17 July 2009
- Video: Foreign Exchange Students Abused in the Un...
- Outrageous Video: Bruno (Comedian Cohen) Talks wi...
- Video: News of the Absurd - Twitter, Soc the Cat ...
- Video: Why Did 168 People Die in Iran Plane Crash...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 15 July 2009
- Video: Transforming Inner City Blight
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Sarah Pali...
- Just Installed New Commenting Software
- Poem titled "First Impressions"
- Libations Friday! 10 July 2009
- Round and Round the Obvious: Republican Liars, CI...
- Video: Iranian Protestors March on 10th anniversa...
- Coming Soon: Photographic Memory in a Pill?
- Video: All the Truth About Chocolate and Antioxid...
- Video: Interview with Comedian Sarah Silverman
- Cheeky Quote Day! 8 July 2009
- How Do You Cultivate Inner Happiness?
- Video: Operation Mend
- Video: Mideast Conflict of Israel and Palestine
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - U.S. Kept...
- Video: Independence Day Trivia
- Video: The Crown of Liberty
- Fireworks Faves
- Happy July 4th!
- Fourth of July Quotes: Serious and Funny
- Libations Friday! 3 July 2009
- Video: King of Pop Reigns Again
- Video: Nutritious Chocolate, the New Super Food?
- Funny Photos: Chilling in Bed with a Couple of Ch...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 1 July 2009
- ▼ July (60)