15 July 2009
Cheeky Quote Day! 15 July 2009
From Denny: The folks over at Quote Garden have collected an hilarious bunch of Curmudgeon Quotes, of all things to categorize! Well, to my mind, that’s just an invitation to plug their site and place those quotes under a Cheeky Quote Day post!
I’m a sociable person; however, the majority of my relatives are curmudgeons and extreme sport pessimists. I guess I missed the grumpy gene – and my grandfather too. Of course, in my mind (it sure does get busy in there...), grumpy people are basically not mentally tough and don’t want to learn how.
Sure, Life jumps up and bites you hard on the butt, sometimes more often than any of us want to deal with, but the mentally tough figure out coping strategies to work through the situation until it improves or dissipates. I’ve always used humor, writing, meditation and exercise to accomplish that goal.
When I read some of these quotes it made me laugh as I recognized a lot of my relatives, former bosses, the surly grocery cashier and negative teachers, you name it. It’s like someone who was quoted from a 100 years ago actually met the same people I know! See how many people you recognize in your life!
“A cynic is a person searching for an honest man, with a stolen lantern.” ~ Edgar A. Shoaff
“It is not a fragrant world.” ~ Raymond Chandler
“I don't answer the phone. I get the feeling whenever I do that there will be someone on the other end.” ~ Fred Couples
“I love mankind - its people I can't stand.” ~ Charles M. Schulz, Go Fly a Kite, Charlie Brown
“Sarcasm is the sour cream of wit.” ~ Author Unknown
“There are people who have an appetite for grief; pleasure is not strong enough and they crave pain. They have mithridatic stomachs which must be fed on poisoned bread, natures so doomed that no prosperity can sooth their ragged and dishevelled desolation.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
“A cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.” ~ Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan, 1893
“I've always been interested in people, but I've never liked them.” ~ W. Somerset Maugham
“When we are born, we cry that we are come to this great stage of fools.” ~ William Shakespeare, King Lear
“Nothing is more miserable than man,
Of all upon the earth that breathes and creeps.”
~ Homer, Iliad
“I hate to be near the sea, and to hear it raging and roaring like a wild beast in its den. It puts me in mind of the everlasting efforts of the human mind, struggling to be free and ending just where it began.” ~ William Hazlitt
“We can destroy ourselves by cynicism and disillusion, just as effectively as by bombs.” ~ Kenneth Clark
“Sometimes you wake up in the morning and wish your parents had never met.” ~ Bill Fitch
“Men hate to be misunderstood, and to be understood makes them furious.” ~ Edgar Saltus
“Things are not as bad as they seem. They are worse.” ~ Bill Press
“Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.” ~ Ernest Hemingway
“The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.” ~ G.K. Chesterton
Bozo Sapiens Photo by I'm Fantastic! @ flickr
Recent Posts and Archive
- ► 2015 (37)
- ► 2014 (45)
- ► 2013 (100)
- ► 2012 (125)
- ► 2011 (349)
- ► 2010 (415)
- Politics: FINALLY! House Votes to Restrict Wall ...
- Libations Friday! 31 July 2009
- Falling in love again: A poem about opening yourse...
- Joke: Cat Goes to Heaven
- Video: Hurricane Katrina Super Volunteers 4 Years...
- Video: Cat in the Sack
- Cheeky Quote Day! 29 July 2009
- Video: Economic Worst Is Over?
- Video: Hillary Taking Charge
- Video: Uninsured America
- This Weeks Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Cambridge C...
- Video: What Made Wedding Video a Web Hit?
- Video: Wedding Party Recreates Blissful Boogie fo...
- Poem: Kiss Me Soft
- Viral Video: Wedding Entrance Dance
- Libations Friday! 24 July 2009
- Video: Obama's Prime Time News Conference Health ...
- Totally Ridiculous Comedy: Jacks Nightclub
- Millions Watch Solar Eclipse: Awe and Fear
- Cheeky Quote Day! 22 July 2009
- Video: Artsy Fascinating Ad for the PEN Series Ca...
- Does Happiness Elude You?
- Funny Video: I Just Want A Pizza!
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Biden Lick...
- How Do You Handle Excessive Stress?
- Update: Foreign Exchange Students Abuse Scandal
- Bloggers Unite: Global Human Rights Abuses
- Libations Friday! 17 July 2009
- Video: Foreign Exchange Students Abused in the Un...
- Outrageous Video: Bruno (Comedian Cohen) Talks wi...
- Video: News of the Absurd - Twitter, Soc the Cat ...
- Video: Why Did 168 People Die in Iran Plane Crash...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 15 July 2009
- Video: Transforming Inner City Blight
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Sarah Pali...
- Just Installed New Commenting Software
- Poem titled "First Impressions"
- Libations Friday! 10 July 2009
- Round and Round the Obvious: Republican Liars, CI...
- Video: Iranian Protestors March on 10th anniversa...
- Coming Soon: Photographic Memory in a Pill?
- Video: All the Truth About Chocolate and Antioxid...
- Video: Interview with Comedian Sarah Silverman
- Cheeky Quote Day! 8 July 2009
- How Do You Cultivate Inner Happiness?
- Video: Operation Mend
- Video: Mideast Conflict of Israel and Palestine
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - U.S. Kept...
- Video: Independence Day Trivia
- Video: The Crown of Liberty
- Fireworks Faves
- Happy July 4th!
- Fourth of July Quotes: Serious and Funny
- Libations Friday! 3 July 2009
- Video: King of Pop Reigns Again
- Video: Nutritious Chocolate, the New Super Food?
- Funny Photos: Chilling in Bed with a Couple of Ch...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 1 July 2009
- ▼ July (60)