From Denny: This poem was a wild ride! It's just as well since I wanted to talk about the writing process and the restlessness that goes along with the sometimes strenuous capture of rambling thoughts turning into vision, sharpening the focus on our vision and then releasing the words to tumble out in a torrent onto the page.
The easy writes are when you get a catchy phrase in your head that gives you a visual and then you add a few related ideas or actions and the poem is off and running along at a wonderful pace, easy to finish and easy to illustrate.
This one? Are you kidding? It was a real behavior problem: elusive, stubborn, playing hide and seek at every turn. It got to the point I had to cheerlead myself with the words, "Just seven more lines to finish." With the counter, "But how many lines have we already done? Are we on the home stretch?" If I had not organized contact photos on the page of how I wanted the poem to progress line by line to keep me focused, I doubt this poem would be out in the world this soon! :)
Writing can get like that; there are those rare times when you just can't seem to corral it, especially when it is about something as intangible as the process of writing from the inner levels. What kept me going were the awesome photos I found on flickr. They helped shape and define the poem with what the poem meant to reveal. I hope you enjoy their photos as much as I do!
Eyeing Think Time
The energy in my swirling mind
Scribbles furiously lighting up the dark
The powerful pens pump streams of ink
Dancing faster pace, designing the page
My vision swells up in brilliant bold color
Painting my fertile imagination with delight
My sight foresees what will come in measure
Building the tension and anguish to deliver
Simple it was when first I tripped over the thought
Now it perches on my nose too close to see or touch
Squirming, twisting, constantly restless, gestating the write
Tumbling idea words pushing against my head
Snarling to be heard in the dazzling light yet detour
Escaping to dark places, slithering perilous crevices
Wondering if we dip in paint pale ghosts of ourselves
Unlocking beautiful painful things alive in our hearts
Refreshing old soul wisdom awakens to guide us on our way
Glowing amber coals of thought varnishing the write
Bursting through to glimpse the haloed oval light
My stretching vision leafing details like a secret lettered on a page
Onlooker to rambling thoughts racing to gather as a musing crowd
Drifting in the stillness word winds start singing from the silence
Lifting words to dizzying heights fluttering on the watcher wings
Mystically riveted into one sharp sight
Copyright 1 October 2009
All Rights Reserved
And when you write a poem, I know the words photo by You Don’t Love Me Yet @ flickr
Light writing photo by madmarv004 @ flickr
Pens photo by pigpogm @ flickr
The Infamy of a Story Never Told (Dali lives!) Photo by Felipe Morin @ flickr
Wild neon eye photo by dreamglow @ flickr
Paisley eye Photo by dreamglow @ flickr
Grunge eye photo by dreamglow @ flickr
See me sweat Photo by ardenswayoflife (The Netherlands) @ flickr
Child’s eye Photo by peasap (California, USA)@ flickr
Cicada between my eyes Photo by OakleyOriginals @ flickr
I love a wild thing! Photo by helgasms! @ flickr
Her blue eyes photo by Ranoush (Egypt) @ flickr
Tiger blue eyes Photo by TakenBy Tina (Canada) @ flickr
Snake eyes photo by Care_SMC (Oklahoma, USA) @ flickr
Woman with Gray Eyes and Red Lipstick photo by Pink Sherbet Photography @ flickr
New Years eye photo by pareeerica (Australia) @ flickr
Old thoughtful eyes of an elephant photo by Felix Francis (India) @ flickr
Amber eye photo by lupinehorror (Scotland, United Kingdom) @ flickr
Fish eye lens photo by Il Conte de Luna (Italy) @ flickr
Lid (eye) understretch photo by DerrickT (Georgia, USA) @ flickr
Rainbow eyes Photo by Lin Pernille ♥ Photography @ flickr
The Expansive Relationship of Two Individuals as An Independent One Photo by DerrickT @ flickr (Georgia, USA)
Butterfly eyes photo by me’nthedogs (United Kingdom) @ flickr
Two eyes are one Photo by ViaMoi (Canada) @ flickr
Recent Posts and Archive
- ► 2015 (37)
- ► 2014 (45)
- ► 2013 (100)
- ► 2012 (125)
- ► 2011 (349)
- ► 2010 (415)
- 7 Political Posts at Dennys Global Politics 31 Oct...
- 13 Lollapalooza Halloween Posts to Make You Grin!
- Angel Diaries: Samuel - Libations Friday! 30 Oct ...
- Video: Sellout Journalist Stossel Helps Sell Anti...
- Lampooning Perfectionists - Cheeky Quote Day 28 Oc...
- Video: Making a Difference - Bicycles Helping Peo...
- Roundup of Sunday Funnies 26 Oct 2009 - Balloon Tr...
- 22 Interesting Varied Blog Posts, 23 Oct 2009
- 2 Great and Easy Pecan Bundt Cake Recipes
- Editorial Cartoons This Week 24 Oct 2009
- Happy Birthday to The Social Poets Blog, Angels Br...
- Video: Interviewing Novelist Dan Brown on The Los...
- Video: Good Stories and Clues 1 to 4 for The Lost...
- Video: Dan Browns New Book The Lost Symbol
- Video: The Lost Symbol - Secrets of the National ...
- Video: Obama Talks About Womens Issues
- 35 Jay Leno Quotes for Cheeky Quote Day 21 October...
- Video: Restaurant Foods Compost Great Wines
- Roundup of Sunday Funnies: Hillary's Stressed, Ob...
- Dennys Louisiana Lyon Oven Pancake
- This Weeks Editorial Cartoons 17 Oct 2009
- Libations Friday! 16 October 2009
- Funny Photo: Billionaires for Wealthcare
- Cool Creepy Morphing Eyes Animation
- Cool Video: Prez Obama Honored for Nobel in Sand ...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 14 October 2009
- 16 Thoughtful Quotes From President Barack Obama, ...
- This Weeks Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Biden's Nob...
- Home: Abandoned House with Cool Poem
- This Weeks Editorial Cartoons 10 October 2009
- Libations Friday! 9 October 2009
- Video: Debate - Health Bill Versions Differ From ...
- Video: 1st Video of Anne Frank
- Video: New Insight into Van Gogh Thru His Many Le...
- Video: Afghanistan War At One Year Anniversary
- Cheeky Quote Day! 7 October 2009
- Video: The New Yorker Examines the Financial Cris...
- Video: Republicans Jeer and Sneer the President
- Roundup of Sunday Funnies, Cartoons - Olympics, Ob...
- Video: Despite Personal Tragedy, Violinist Inspir...
- This Weeks Editorial Cartoons 3 October 2009
- Libations Friday! 2 October 2009
- Video: Applaud the Democrat Who is Defiant Over D...
- Video: Shocking Photo of Cheating Prez or Somethi...
- Video: Making a Difference - American High School...
- ▼ October (45)