Dennys: News Politics Comedy Science Arts & Food


27 March 2009

Libations Friday! 27 March 2009

From Denny: To wind down your work week, here are some funny photos and art work, a funny coffee prayer, a coffee poem, and yet another coffee recipe with chocolate ice cream.

I love chocolate ice cream and right now it’s a pollen-filled Spring time in Louisiana while Colorado gets stacked up with snow! Hang the pollen; eat ice cream! It’s the weekend. And I’ve got pollen head right now and just can’t be too serious. I knew pollen was good for something; now I know…

***

From INeedCoffee.com comes a funny from Todd Zapoli:



There is also The Falling Dream cartoon site to check for smiles.

Then there is Bad Bob's Screaming Man on Coffee graphics if you haven't seen them yet or wanted to know who was the artist.



***

Now for the new coffee recipe from VolcanicaCoffee.com!

Mocha Cinnamon Shake

Ingredients:

1 cup brewed gourmet coffee at room temperature

1 cup chocolate ice cream

1 cup milk

1 cup crushed ice

2 cinnamon sticks

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon


Directions: Combine the gourmet coffee, ice cream, milk and crushed ice in a blender. Blend it until it is all combined and serve. Pour into two mugs and add cinnamon sticks. Makes 2 servings.

***

Now for an amusing prayer by Anonymous:

The Coffee Prayer

Caffeine is my shepherd; I shall not doze.

It maketh me to wake in green pastures:

It leadeth me beyond the sleeping masses.

It restoreth my buzz:

It leadeth me in the paths of consciousness for its name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of addiction,

I will fear no Equal (sugar substitute):

For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me.

Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez:

Thou annointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over.

Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life: and

I will dwell in the House of ....... for ever.

***

Coffee Quote and Poem from CocoaJava.com

*** Nancy Astor: "If I were your wife, I would put poison in your coffee."

Sir Winston Churchill: "And if I were your husband, I would drink it." ***

***

From Denny: And since I live in Louisiana, and it’s been raining like a flood lately, here is a poem from the French Quarter in New Orleans where he really has captured the coffee moment in the culture:



Photo by ercwttnn @ flickr

Stopped for a cup in the French Quarter

The ceiling fan above me twirls languidly, dangling…

swaying from the embossed tin ceiling from a century ago

loping shadows cut the muted fluorescence from twelve feet

The resulting flickering makes the scene into a silent movie

piped-in, ancient, scratchy, re-mastered piano jazz heightens

the noirish ease of an afternoon latte, a cloudy, dreary

day in the old part of the old town; caffeinated history

real and imagined, sip after black and white sip

Rain begins to pelt the arching, aching windows as I reach the

bottom of my cup and a dreamer, coffee drinker’s dilemma;

sit for another cup, watching the time and life brew, or

head on out into the rain with a self-promise to return

Unlike the movies, such an answer is not black and white,

simply a compromised black; a cup of French Roast – to go.

And go I do, stepping onto the cobblestoned street, right hand

warmed by the cup, left hand in my pocket, rain dribbling off

the flattened out brim of my hat, I take a steamy sip, and smile.

By Mark Lucker

(Mark is a writer, employment counsleor and coffee junkie!)

Check out the other coffee poems at this site!



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recent Posts and Archive