Dennys: News Politics Comedy Science Arts & Food


29 May 2009

Libations Friday! 29 May 2009



An Expresso Cocktail and a Dragon Poem for today!

Photo by once and future @ flickr

Welcome to Libations Friday!

For the coffee recipe today we have a spiked tall hot coffee.




Photo of similar coffee drink from Food Network

Denny's Expresso Cocktail

Ingredients:

Freshly made Expresso (diluted by half with hot boiling water, like in Italy when they give you their version of American coffee they dilute it by half with hot water, still very strong)

½ shot Tia Maria coffee liqueur

½ shot orange vodka or Cointreau
(French brand: Grey Goose Orange Vodka, bottled in the Cognac region of France)

Heavy cream

Directions:

Make sure this is a heat proof glass coffee mug like for Irish coffee. First pour in the coffee liqueur and the vodka or Cointreau (I prefer the Cointreau; my husband likes the vodka). Top off with unsweetened hot expresso. Now float a little or a lot of whipped cream on top. Serve hot to satisfied friends! This recipe is for one serving.

And on to the poetry portion of Libations Friday!



(Photo by wili_hybrid @ flickr of a dragon in Slovenia)

From Denny: What is it with humanity's fascination with winged beings, be they angel or dragon? In an online writing group there was a challenge to write about dragons. What fun! Everyone wrote about dragons as evil vicious beasts as from the Western mythology.

Well, I spent high school in the Orient where the mythology is far different, Chinese mythology, that is. Come on; it seemed every time I turned around there was a street festival with the lion and dragon dances performed for good luck and prosperity!

There in Taiwan the dragons are revered and considered an archetype for primordial creation itself. Blue dragons in particular were the bringers of fertility to the land to help mankind’s harvest. So, the online writing group challenged me to write about the good dragons!

As I started writing, it was evident I could do more with this little vignette, like parlay this into a book later. This scene is not complete but will give you an idea of the Asian dragons. Enjoy the little fantasy prose. What will you write about your dragons?



(Photo by LadyAmada @ flickr)

Primordial Dragon

An Angel appeared at my door, cloaked in midnight dark dress
Summoning me into The Presence, who would say No?
As I walked outside an eclipse was slowly advancing into place
The eclipse was eerie; uncomfortable, I wished to hide
I balked at leaving my home while the eclipse was in the sky
Pleading the Angel to wait, maybe it’s wise to go after a while?
The Angel sternly, No, now is the auspicious Time to travel
For we are in the Realm of Knowledge who waits in secret dark
Here we travel within the hidden Library to our destiny long planned



As our long walk ended, revealed was a vast smooth speaking lake
At the water’s edge standing two blue water dragons easily tethered
They furiously pawed the ground, their large claws spreading dirt
They said they were busy seeding for humanity’s harvest year next
Apprentices they were to the feared primordial dragon clan
Half grown, young skin shining royal blue in the quiet land
The Angel untied them, climbed onto his, behind the large boney head
My dragon advanced toward me, in fear I stepped back, wanting none
He lowered his glowing eyes to the ground, knelt down on all fours
I mustered my courage, climbed on to the seat he provided, to ride



(Photo by tehusagent @ flickr)



The young joyful dragons arched up, pulling their wings to spread wide
Dust stirred up high in swirls all around us as the dragons gathered wind
Their huge arched scaly wings beat the air stronger, faster, some more
When they jumped off the land they were standing, into the air we flew
The force was so strong I gasped for breath, he caught me in time, he knew
Patted a front claw to the top of my head to hold me from falling, yes, gently
Poised carefully, hovering balanced that sharp claw while we gracefully flew
Soon I relaxed on his neck, enjoying the wind rushing by, more confidence grew



Denny Lyon
Copyright 8 July 2008
All Rights Reserved

Thanks for visiting! Have a good weekend, everyone!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recent Posts and Archive