08 May 2009
Libations Friday! 8 May 2009
New coffee recipes, new coffee site, original poem AND it's Friday! Does Life get any better? :)
Coffee Photo by once and future @ flickr
From Denny: With the “hurry up and wait all day” jury duty this week I didn’t get a chance to pre-load any of my posts. They were keeping us longer than usual as a Mexican drug lord was on trial, complete with over a million dollars in drugs as evidence and a SWAT team to protect his sorry criminal self from assassination. Let's hear the applause for where our tax dollars go: forced to protect mocking criminals while awaiting trial. Such is the downside of a civilized society dealing with the savage violent members.
So you can guess how many people wanted to be on that jury... I didn't really care if they picked me or not as I can't be intimidated and have no use for bullies. I was the last person to be paneled and once they found out I was a journalist I made the immediate cut. Many of the jurors complained that it was a bit creepy giving out your home address and other personal information in open court since the accused has the right to know where his accusers live. Talk about a law that needs to be changed - like yesterday!
Apologies for any inconvenience to my readers as I know you clock in from time zones all over the world. Usually I try to load at least one post a day by early morning my time (and Canada’s) so folks across The Pond in Europe have a read by late afternoon.
Hello to the folks in Poland, Romania, Slovakia and Greece as I’m surprised to find so many readers from Eastern Europe. Hello to those of you in the United Kingdom, Germany, Sweden, France, Spain, Finland, Belgium, Italy, Portugal, Switzerland and Denmark!
As to the folks in the Mideast - like Saudi Arabia and Bahrain - and Asia - like lots in India, Pakistan, Malaysia and Indonesia - Thank You for checking in for a visit!
Now on to the coffee portion! Found this interesting coffee site: BestOfCoffeeNews.com.
Here are some of their coffee advice tips:
Does your coffee taste bad? There are several possible reasons why the coffee doesn't taste right. Here are some possible solutions to common coffee problems.
• Stale coffee beans or stale grounds? This will create a recipe for bitter coffee. Get fresh coffee!
• A dirty pot? An unclean coffee pot makes bitter coffee. Follow the coffee maker cleaning instructions.
• Poor water quality? Typical city water may lead to bitter tasting coffee. Use clean water if possible.
• Using an incorrect ratio of coffee grounds to water? If the ratio isn't right, the coffee can turn bitter, or make the coffee taste like nothing.
Coffee Maker Maintenance
How to you clean your coffee maker? In order to be able to keep making good coffee, do this every month:
1. In case you have a built-in filter, take it out.
2. Fill your carafe with water and add two tablespoons of vinegar.
3. Pour the mixture of water and vinegar into the coffee maker and turn on the coffee maker.
4. Let it brew halfway through the brewing cycle and stop the machine for about 15 minutes. Resume the brewing process and let the brewing finish.
5. Now, rinse the carafe out and brew plain water through the system - twice. Rinse out the carafe, and you're now all done!
Here are two recipes from BestOfCoffeeNews.com:
This is definitely one I’ve not seen. I suppose if it’s made with fresh farmer’s market yogurt it could be outstanding, though I doubt I’d try it with what’s available in most grocery stores stuffed full of preservatives, additives and sugar.
Coffee Yogurt Drink
• 8 ounces plain yoghurt
• 8 ounces cold black coffee
• Sugar to taste
• Ground cinnamon
Combine the first 3 ingredients in a blender and serve in a long glass with a straw. Decorate with cinnamon. Serves 2.
This one sounds refreshing for a summer drink with all this mint!
Peppermint Coffee Cream
• 2 ounces white creme de menthe
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 8 ounces hot freshly made black coffee
• lightly whipped double cream
• mint chocolate cut into thin slivers
Warm a brandy glass. Add the creme de menthe and the sugar. Add the hot coffee, stir well. Pour the whipped cream over a spoon onto the top of the coffee. Decorate with the slivers of mint chocolate. Drink through the cream without mixing.
Photo by Sarah Sitkin @ flickr
Now on to the poem. How many times do you find yourself amused by something small that happens in your daily life? Parents and grandparents experience this often. Do try to record those amusing real life incidents - if only to write about years later. Look at it this way: you can embarrass your kids at their wedding, entertaining the wedding guests with funny stories.
Though I don’t have children there are times when my husband is a great substitute. Most days he is the hard-nosed tough-minded businessman. And then his Irish side pops up out of nowhere to hijack his personality and he is like a daredevil nine-year-old on a sugar rush! He definitely keeps my life from being too serious.
No matter how annoying he gets I still enjoy watching him at play – or should I say watching him “in play” like some strategic game plan like you see in sports. It’s like a coach called Life handed him a playbook and told him to execute it! The way some people’s minds work when mildly stressed and the inventive solutions they create…
As you read this light-hearted and total silliness ditty, think of the amusing childrens' writer Dr. Seuss' “musical words” in your head and you will have the right frame of mind to be amused and follow the beat of the poem. Oh, and don't forget to write fan letters to my husband! :)
Have a good weekend, everyone! Thanks for visiting!
Pastel Drawing by Denny Lyon
The Husband Who Cleans
Lunching together at home my husband and me
One Friday summer at noon: Horror happened!
Spilled my red sauce dots, splat! All over ivory
My husband he comforted me, No big deal!
I’ll clean it later, good intentions he had
OK, I agreed, forgetting ‘til many hours that late
Like many a wife I circled back to clean
But not found those red dots! So astonished was I!
My husband proudly approached to show me you see
Pointed to where the red spot dots had been dining
And declared the ivory cloth so spotless and cleaned
I peered closer, doubting, to examine for wet
Found none, now perplexed, now downright puzzled,
What ever did you use to clean “It”?
He solved the problem, can’t you see?
Rotating ‘round the tablecloth one place setting
Grinning wildly, he lifted up the long S & P tray
He exclaimed, so proud he was to me, See? I cleaned!
The red dots they remained, new home, well hidden,
Under the accommodating accomplice S & P tray...
*Male Motto: If you can’t see it, then it’s clean!
*Disclaimer: My husband wants to make sure everyone knows it was the woman who was the table slob… He’s sensitive.
Copyright 18 July 2008
All Rights Reserved
Recent Posts and Archive
- ► 2015 (37)
- ► 2014 (45)
- ► 2013 (100)
- ► 2012 (125)
- ► 2011 (349)
- ► 2010 (415)
- The Political Propaganda Corner 31 May 2009
- Video: Humorous Talented Unusual Dance Moves
- Libations Friday! 29 May 2009
- Video: Gene Kelly Tap Dances on Roller Skates
- Cheeky Quote Day! 27 May 2009
- A Story Set to Song Titles
- Memorial Day Poems
- Story-A Visitor
- Cartoonists Take on Mowing the Lawn
- Libations Friday! 22 May 2009
- Bee Poetry: Pollen for tea
- Poem: Building Bridges
- Cheeky Quote Day! 20 May 2009
- Video: CIA Torture Memos Incorrect
- Video: RNC Chair Steele Whistles Past GOP History...
- Video: Senator Says Gitmo Prisoners Have It Good!...
- Free Printable Brain Teasers Are Used In Business ...
- This Week: Roundup of Sunday Funnies - Fired Astr...
- Word Smithing: Those Funny Sayings We Hear Every D...
- Video: CIA Secret Experiments
- Libations Friday! 15 May 2009
- New Link Pages: List for Fav Bloggers and Fav Lin...
- Cheeky Quote Day! 13 May 2009
- New Link Page Companion to The Social Poets!
- Video: America to Develop High Speed Rail at Last...
- This Weeks Roundup of Sunday Funnies: "Sicko" (Cin...
- Video: From the Jazz Festival - Giving Kids a Cha...
- Video: Forgiveness Smarter Than Revenge For Your ...
- Libations Friday! 8 May 2009
- Video: Finding Homes for the Homeless
- Video: Re-educating Osama Bin Laden's Disciples
- Blogger Interviews Porn Queen Stormy Daniels While...
- Video: Heineken's Funny Walk-In Fridge Closet Ad
- Video: How Saudis Are Rehabilitating Former Guant...
- Video: Rare Dr. Martin Luther King Speech Discove...
- Video: Hannity Volunteers to be Waterboarded
- Does Your Poetry Come From Your Soul?
- Slap That Cold Silly with Food as Medicine
- Libations Friday! 1 May 2009
- ▼ May (39)