07 January 2009
Recipe: Smoky Chicken Chili
During the winter months many of us like to turn to serving up bowls of hot chili. Sometimes the beef version is far too spicy and heavy and we want a change of pace.
How about using that rotisserie chicken from the grocery store or a smoked chicken from your favorite deli to make that lighter version of your favorite chili?
Instead of the usual heavier red kidney beans why not try a change of pace with earthy black beans and nutty white beans to compliment a lighter meat like chicken?
Remember: to cut the spicy heat stir in some sour cream as dairy products are stellar at standing in for the local fire department, instantly dousing that fiery heat!
Smoky Chicken Chili
Yield: Makes 9 cups
Preparation time: 15 minutes to assemble plus 1 hour 15 minutes cooking time
From: Southern Living magazine
2 poblano chile peppers, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 (14 ½ oz.) cans zesty chili-style diced tomatoes
(Del Monte brand)
1 (16 oz.) can navy beans (in Louisiana use Camellia brand
cream-style white beans)
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (12 oz.) can beer OR 1 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (1.25 oz.) envelope white chicken chili seasoning mix
Toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, chopped fresh cilantro, sour cream, lime wedges, baby corn, sliced black olives, chopped red onion, tortilla chips
Directions: Sauté first 4 ingredients in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Stir in diced tomatoes and next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour. Serve with desired toppings.
Note: For other recipes visit my other fun blogs –
Romancing The Chocolate & Comfort Food From Louisiana
Recent Posts and Archive
- ► 2015 (37)
- ► 2014 (45)
- ► 2013 (100)
- ► 2012 (125)
- ► 2011 (349)
- ► 2010 (415)
- How to Effect Positive Life Change
- Poem: Rush Hour
- Poem: Bittersweet Memories of Love
- Seven Illustrated Quotes: Art and Writing
- Pros and Cons of Being a Writer
- soul on a sunbeam
- Word Puzzles to Work Your Mind
- The Artist Soul
- Poem: Hope
- Poem: tonight
- 7 Easy Tips to Help You Get Organized Fast
- A Treasure Hidden in Her Eyes
- Poem: My Life's Story
- Poem: It Isnt In Me
- Poetry: Healing through poetry and other thoughts....
- Obama is now the 44th President!
- Prayer for Obama
- 400 Alternative words for said
- Poem: For John Travolta and Family
- How To Memorize A Poem
- Poem: Poetry about Divine Life Companionship
- Poem: Dreaming Words
- So, You Want to Write a Poem?
- Tips for Saving on Groceries and Food Leftovers Id...
- Recipe: Dennys Valentines Day Chocolate Crepes wi...
- The Pet Chronicles: Curty & His Couch
- Recipe: Smoky Chicken Chili
- ▼ January (27)