When the day - and I - awaken, present in the moment.
Waking The Day
When I suddenly awakened from the long night’s hot summer sleep
The energizing scent of coffee brewing wafted around the corner.
I stumbled in the dark, bouncing off the doorway, fumbling for the kitchen lights.
I saw cats waiting eagerly at the back door, wide-eyed nocturnal keepers of the yard.
Measuring out fresh food into their three bowls, then wisely throwing open the door.
They looked up at me, measuring me more than their food, wondering how awake,
Hugging the doorway, quietly gliding through the opening instead of their usual burst.
The golden tiger cat squeaked his morning gossip of the neighborhood nightly report.
Steaming dark brown coffee breathed foggy swirls, spilling into the pristine mug.
The hot libation slid down my throat as it gave off its sweet Ethiopian perfume.
Drinking coffee before speaking plays first in the slumbering beginnings at my house.
Glancing at the cats, all lined in a row, they ate heartily as if miners just off a long shift.
I stepped out into the night to view the sparkling stars before they faded to the day.
The sky was astounding in its simple beauty; the love planet Venus the brightest smile.
How could anyone not smile in return when the planets seem to speak lovingly to us?
So many stars, so many messages written in the sky, our Universe speaks unceasingly.
Pouring another offering of coffee, I pulled up a chair on the porch to view the lake.
I could witness early morning on the water a thousand times, never to be disappointed.
Smoke rose on the water, little ghostly fingers walking forward on the mirrored surface.
Three mallard ducks emerged from the mist, swimming my way, dancing long strides.
Huge prehistoric wings filled the air with a swooping sound and blanketed darkness.
A blue heron landed to fish his breakfast, blending into the smoky gray surrounding mist.
Soon a white egret flew in from the east, careful to move down to another fishing hole.
In the dim light a neighbor fished, sitting, pole in hand as his coffee scent filled the air.
Faint pink embers, the growing light, were filling the sky just above the rooftop horizon.
The blue heron stalked the shallows on his long legs, searching the moving warm waters.
A sudden splash, beak dove down, retrieving a huge fish he flung high on to the bank.
The egret caught small fishes, silver glints in the sunlight, tossed into the air, swallowed.
Two cups of coffee later it was time to check back in the house to rouse my husband.
Entering the room, he slumbered peacefully, his breath shallow; I knew he was awake.
The golden tiger cat pounced onto the bed and onto his chest, demanding attention.
His eyes closed, my husband smiled and knew he had not fooled either one of us.
Copyright 17 Sept 2010
All Rights Reserved
*** For the spiritual symbolism explained see:
A Healing Spiritual Poem: Waking The Day
Steaming coffee in white cup photo by Kvasov Andrey @ flickr
Pink embers sunrise photo by Indy Kethdy @ flickr
Two great white egrets photo by flythebirdpath~} teddy @ flickr
The night sky photo by James Jordan @ flickr (combination of two photos)
Smoke on the water photo by flamesworddragon @ flickr
Ducks swimming under full moon photo by joiseyshowaa @ flickr
Fairy tale moon photo by davedehetre @ flickr
Golden cat in shadow photo by 1 suisse @ flickr
*** THANKS for visiting, feel welcome to drop a comment or opinion, enjoy bookmarking this post on your favorite social site, a big shout out to awesome current subscribers – and if you are new to this blog, please subscribe in a reader or by email updates!
*** Come by for a visit and check out my other blogs:
The Social Poets - news, politics
The Soul Calendar - science, astronomy, psychology
Visual Insights - photos, art, music
Beautiful Illustrated Quotations - spiritual quotes, philosophy
Poems From A Spiritual Heart - poetry
The Healing Waters - health news
Dennys People Watching - people in the news
Dennys Food and Recipes
Dennys Funny Quotes - humor
17 September 2010
Waking The Day poem - Libations Friday 17 Sept 2010
Recent Posts and Archive
- ► 2015 (37)
- ► 2014 (45)
- ► 2013 (100)
- ► 2012 (125)
- ► 2011 (349)
- Democrats: 400 Groups Rally This Weekend 4 Jobs an...
- Creep Factor: Feds Turning X-Rays on Americans to ...
- What Is Really Happening In This BP Claims Process...
- Posts Roundup at Dennys Blogs - 27 Sept 2010
- White House Staff Shakeup: Who Stays, Who Goes
- America and World Politics Cartoons - 25 Sept 2010...
- King Abdullah II Talks Huge Middle East Gamble for...
- Is BP Fund Czar Feinberg in BPs Pocket?
- Wars Overseas, Wars in Congress, Wars in White Hou...
- Presidential Memoirs: Who Bombed, Who Soared and W...
- Posts Roundup at Dennys Blogs - 19 Sept 2010
- Economy, World Politics, BP Oil Spill Cartoons - 1...
- Waking The Day poem - Libations Friday 17 Sept 201...
- Obamas Popularity, Polls Roundup of American Opini...
- Good Move, Mr. Prez: Safeguarding The Gulf on Oil ...
- Roundup of Late Night Funnies - 14 Sept 2010
- Funny Video: Colbert Mocks Beck On His Restore Hon...
- Funny Video: Stewart Mocks Gov. Jan Brewer Fiasco,...
- Funny Video: Jon Stewart Mocks Florida Pastor Behi...
- Funny Video: Letterman and Olbermann Laugh at Repu...
- Funny Video: Letterman Teases Obama For Frequent V...
- Posts Roundup at Dennys Blogs - 12 Sept 2010
- Who Will Be Prez Obamas Next Chief of Staff?
- America and The Economy Cartoons - 11 Sept 2010
- Middle East Peace, Koran Burning, Iraq War Cartoon...
- The Understanding poem - Libations Friday 10 Sept ...
- Call to Christians And Muslims Against Violence Fr...
- Economy, America and World Politics Cartoons - 7 S...
- ▼ September (28)
- ► 2009 (533)