Wars overseas, wars in Congress and wars in the White House are why our government is not working.
From Denny: Were there really any surprises here? For the past 20 months the President and his staff have argued about the Iraq and Afghan Wars. OK, debate is always a good idea but it seems they are as mired as the Army generals running the wars. Come on, guys, after 7 years for one and 9 years for the other, isn't it about time to call it quits? You have worn out the goodwill of the public and our wallets.
"Obama's Wars" by veteran journalist Bob Woodward portrays a deeply divided White House. Few believed this troop surge would work. Obama wanted faster results from his generals. The generals do what generals do: Tell everyone else they are stupid, we know what we are doing and don't question us.
It turns out that originally Obama did not want to escalate in Afghanistan because he rightly felt he only had two years with the American public and then they would want out of the country. Clearly, the President desired an exit strategy. Guess the Taliban surge changed that idea. When he set a timetable for withdrawal Obama said he had to do it: "I can't lose the whole Democratic Party."
Woodward also stated that the CIA is running an all-Afghan 3,000 strong paramilitary group in Afghanistan to hunt down the Taliban and other al-Qaida targets. It was confirmed today by the usual anonymous sources.
A couple of favorite quotes from the book:
Vice President Biden, known for his spicy candor, called former Clinton administration Richard Holbrooke "the most egotistical bastard I've ever met." Agreed. How a guy with that much bad attitude could ever make it as a diplomat is a mystery.
Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, fussed about his vice chairman, Gen. James Cartwright, for "going behind his back." Control freak general.
Cartwright blew off Mullen because he "wasn't a war fighter." Childish general who thinks he doesn't have to respect anyone.
Gen. David Petraeus, the new Afghanistan commander, remarked he disliked talking with David Axelrod, the president's senior adviser, because he was "a complete spin doctor." Agreed; the guy is totally tone deaf, ineffective and a lousy choice for a senior advisor when all his decisions have been disastrous.
More in house fighting? Adm. Dennis Blair, then the national intelligence director, duked it out with Rahm Emanuel, White House chief of staff, and John Brennan, the counter-terrorism adviser. Guess the guy likes overwhelming odds.
Woodward also reported about there was intelligence depicting Afghan President Hamid Karzai was diagosed as manic-depressive and on medication. In a country like that where you sweat out staying alive from minute to minute who wouldn't be on meds? Of course, the Karzai team denies it.
Let's hope President Obama changes out a number of his team in favor of people who will work together to solve problems instead of staking out the usual turf wars. Either that or hire a group of referees because it looks like they are going to need them.
*** THANKS for visiting, feel welcome to drop a comment or opinion, enjoy bookmarking this post on your favorite social site, a big shout out to awesome current subscribers – and if you are new to this blog, please subscribe in a reader or by email updates!
*** Come by for a visit and check out my other blogs:
The Social Poets - news, politics
The Soul Calendar - science, astronomy, psychology
Visual Insights - photos, art, music
Beautiful Illustrated Quotations - spiritual quotes, philosophy
Poems From A Spiritual Heart - poetry
The Healing Waters - health news
Dennys People Watching - people in the news
Dennys Food and Recipes
Dennys Funny Quotes - humor
Recent Posts and Archive
- ► 2015 (37)
- ► 2014 (45)
- ► 2013 (100)
- ► 2012 (125)
- ► 2011 (349)
- Democrats: 400 Groups Rally This Weekend 4 Jobs an...
- Creep Factor: Feds Turning X-Rays on Americans to ...
- What Is Really Happening In This BP Claims Process...
- Posts Roundup at Dennys Blogs - 27 Sept 2010
- White House Staff Shakeup: Who Stays, Who Goes
- America and World Politics Cartoons - 25 Sept 2010...
- King Abdullah II Talks Huge Middle East Gamble for...
- Is BP Fund Czar Feinberg in BPs Pocket?
- Wars Overseas, Wars in Congress, Wars in White Hou...
- Presidential Memoirs: Who Bombed, Who Soared and W...
- Posts Roundup at Dennys Blogs - 19 Sept 2010
- Economy, World Politics, BP Oil Spill Cartoons - 1...
- Waking The Day poem - Libations Friday 17 Sept 201...
- Obamas Popularity, Polls Roundup of American Opini...
- Good Move, Mr. Prez: Safeguarding The Gulf on Oil ...
- Roundup of Late Night Funnies - 14 Sept 2010
- Funny Video: Colbert Mocks Beck On His Restore Hon...
- Funny Video: Stewart Mocks Gov. Jan Brewer Fiasco,...
- Funny Video: Jon Stewart Mocks Florida Pastor Behi...
- Funny Video: Letterman and Olbermann Laugh at Repu...
- Funny Video: Letterman Teases Obama For Frequent V...
- Posts Roundup at Dennys Blogs - 12 Sept 2010
- Who Will Be Prez Obamas Next Chief of Staff?
- America and The Economy Cartoons - 11 Sept 2010
- Middle East Peace, Koran Burning, Iraq War Cartoon...
- The Understanding poem - Libations Friday 10 Sept ...
- Call to Christians And Muslims Against Violence Fr...
- Economy, America and World Politics Cartoons - 7 S...
- ▼ September (28)
- ► 2009 (533)