15 August 2011
3 Polls: Americans Furious At The Tea Party
From Denny: Three different polls declare theTea Party's popularity is rapidly running downhill. There is a backlash against this ultra conservative self-serving political movement.
CNN, The New York Times and CBS recorded an all time high unfavorable rating this past month for the Tea Party and its goals.
What the Tea Party did achieve is to wake up the Independent voters who rarely pay close attention to politics compared to loyalist Republicans and Democrats.
Independents are furious at the hard line against bipartisan compromise in Washington that conservative lawmakers have stubbornly held, without reason or sanity. Independents are considered the swing bloc of the electorate and when this bloc moves one direction or the other the politicians start paying attention to the winds of change.
The recent debt ceiling debacle brought the Independents into focus to pay attention to Washington contentiousness. They did not like what they saw.
Independents were unhappy with several items just like the rest of the country:
* How the conservatives threatened to force a national debt default, contentiously refusing to compromise on a common sense deal.
* Failure of President Obama and House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) to reach a deal to reduce the deficit.
* Seriously unhappy with how Standard & Poor's thought sharply rebuking the political system by lowering the country's risk rating was the answer, only to end up causing outrageous havoc in the financial markets around the world.
* Unfavorable rating of the Tea Party grew from 37 percent in October 2010 to a big jump of 51 percent in August 2011.
The New York Times poll:
* Unpopular rating back in October 2010 was 26 percent. Now? In August 2011 it's shot up to 40 percent unpopular.
From Charles Franklin, professor of political science at the University of Wisconsin and polling specialist: “If you were paying attention to the coverage, the characterization of people resistant to raising the debt ceiling was they were Tea Party supporters or members of the Tea Party caucus. That characterization is an element in the current apparent decline in Tea party popularity."
Independents are a fast-growing segment of the voting population as both mainstream parties continue to lose support.
What do Independents want? * They want the political parties to bridge their differences to solve the nation's problems. Independents did not see that happen on the debt ceiling mess. What they observed was a last minute unpopular compromise to avoid a national default that basically did not solve the long term problem.
From Charles Franklin: “What we saw in all the polling, and it’s very consistent, is people favored some sort of compromise and did not know why the deadlock was there. The Tea Party, in some eyes, was blamed for the deadlock.”
* They generally agree that federal deficits need to shrink.
* They want government to be more accountable to the voter.
* Independent voters are turned off by brinkmanship, instead, favoring immediate and sensible solutions to the nation's pressing issues.
From Terry Madonna, director of the Center for Politics and Public Affairs at Franklin and Marshall College: “They want a government that works together, a government that gets along. What they’re upset about is intransigence toward compromise. What came through to voters is they saw the Tea Party as a hindrance to compromise.”
*** THANKS for visiting, feel welcome to drop a comment or opinion, enjoy bookmarking this post on your favorite social site, a big shout out to awesome current subscribers – and if you are new to this blog, please subscribe in a reader or by email updates!
*** Come by for a visit and check out my other blogs:
*** Check out Holiday Recipes From Dennys Food and Recipes
Dennys Global Politics
The Social Poets - news, politics, political cartoon humor
The Soul Calendar - science, astronomy, psychology
Visual Insights - photos, art, music
Dennys Art Sanctuary
Beautiful Illustrated Quotations - spiritual quotes, philosophy
Best Spiritual Posts - my own best as well as links to other spiritual posts from all viewpoints
Poems From A Spiritual Heart - poetry
The Healing Waters - health news
Dennys People Watching - people in the news
Dennys Food and Recipes
Romancing The Chocolate - chocolate recipes and more food
Unusual 2 Tasty - different twists on favorite foods and international
Comfort Food From Louisiana - Cajun, seafood and more comfort food goodies
Dennys Funny Quotes - humor
Ouch Outrageous Obnoxious And Odd - more crazy humor
Dennys World of Quotes
Dennys Blog Feeds - see what's posting at all Denny's blogs at a glance
Dennys: News Politics Comedy Science Arts Food - an online newspaper
Recent Posts and Archive
- ► 2015 (37)
- ► 2014 (45)
- ► 2013 (100)
- ► 2012 (125)
- Millennium Prophecy Coming to Pass? Hurricane Iren...
- Darth Vadar VP Cheney Crosses Bush In New Book
- Funny Jon Stewart Comics Explain American Politics...
- Funny Jon Stewart Mocks Obamacare Culture Wars: Bi...
- 3 Polls: Americans Furious At The Tea Party
- Egypt: Obama Blunders With $65 Million In Unwanted...
- Jon Stewart Exposes New American Credit Rating: Th...
- Funny Jon Stewart: Obama 50th Birthday Greetings F...
- Funny Jon Stewart on Debt Ceiling Debacle: Dealage...
- Funny Jon Stewart Explains Compromised Inked Debt ...
- ▼ August (10)
- ► 2010 (415)
- ► 2009 (533)